There are some important things for you to know, and steps for you to take, if you are pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician. If you want to be successful, it is important to understand the process and to take the rules and regulations into consideration.
Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In North Carolina?
Yes they are.
Is Certification Required In North Carolina To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
No, certification is not required.
Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By North Carolina?
The PTCB (PTCE).
Books to Help Prepare For Your PTCB (PTCE) Certification
- 1. Mosby’s Review for the PTCB Certification Examination by James J. Mizner
- 2. Secrets of the PTCB Exam Study Guide: PTCB Test Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Examination by Mometrix Media LLC
- 3. Pharmacy Technician Certified Board Preparation: Comprehensive Review Manual by Anne Nguyen, Lauren Nguyen, and Christina Pham.
Also, check out http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/ to view the free study guide for pharmacy technician students. This will help you prepare for your certification exams and help you obtain the knowledge needed to succeed.
What Are the Registration Dates?
Before registering, you must have completed a training program provided by the supervising pharmacist at your employment. Following that training you must apply for registration within 30 days.
Is A License Required?
Yes a license is required.
The North Carolina State Board of Pharmacy Information
Office: 6015 Farrington Road, Suite 201
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
Mail: PO Box 4560
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-4560
Are There Any Professional Associations?
The North Carolina Association of Pharmacists and they can be reached at www.ncpharmacists.org.
What Are the Requirements To Become Licensed?
- 4. You must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- 5. With your $30 non refundable application fee, you submit your pharmacy technician registration application to the North Carolina State Board of pharmacy and request registration.
- 6. Within 180 days of employment, complete a training program provided by the pharmacist in charge at your place of work.
- 7. Complete pharmacy technician training program at a community college.
- 8. Earn your PTCB certification and register with the State Board of Pharmacy. This option is ideal for anyone looking to be successful in this career.
Will There Be Any Training Required?
Yes, the pharmacist in charge at your place of employment will be responsible for all the training.
Are There Requirements for Continuing Education (CE)?
There are no requirements for continuing education.
When Will Renewal Be Required?
Renewal is required annually. There is a $30 renewal fee. Pharmacy Technician registrations expire December 31st.
What If I Relocate or I Change Jobs?
If you move or change jobs, it is your responsibility to contact the state board and report these changes as soon as possible. You can report these changes online on the North Carolina State Board of Pharmacy website www.ncbop.org.
Additional Information about Pharmacy Technicians Requirements in North Carolina:
- 9. A technician may only perform pharmacy tasks that do not require any professional judgment.
- 10. The pharmacist in charge is responsible for all of the pharmacy technician’s actions.
- 11. The pharmacist in charge may supervise up to 2 pharmacy technicians at one time, unless one of the technicians is nationally certified, in which case the pharmacist may be allowed to supervise three technicians.