There are some important things for you to know if you are pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician.
Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In North Dakota?
Yes they are.
Is Certification Required In North Dakota To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
Yes. You must get certified by March 2014 if you are currently employed as a licensed pharmacy technician.
Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By North Dakota?
The PTCB (PTCE)
What Are the Registration Dates?
Once you have completed a training and education program that is approved by the Board of Pharmacy and get certified, you can apply for registration. You also have the option to apply for a status that states that you are a pharmacy technician in training, which allows you 2 more years to complete the licensing requirements.
Is A License Required?
Yes a license is required.
The North Dakota Board of Pharmacy Information:
Office: 1906 E. Broadway Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58501-1354
Mail: PO Box 94986
Lincoln, NE 68509-4986
Telephone: (701) 328-9535
Fax: (701) 328-9536
Are There Any Professional Associations?
The North Dakota Pharmacists Association, which can be reached at www.nodakpharmacy.net
What Are the Requirements To Become Licensed?
- 1. Completion of a training and education program that is approved by the Board of Pharmacy at your place of employment that is given by the pharmacist in charge. As of January 10, 2011, the programs accredited by the American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists are the only programs that are approved by the board.
- 2. Pass the PTCE and get national certification.
- 3. With your $30 non refundable application fee and a copy if your photo I.D, submit your pharmacy technician registration application to the North Dakota State Board of Pharmacy and request registration.
- 4. Or with a $10 application fee and a copy of your I.D, you may also submit an application to the North Dakota State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as the stays of a pharmacy technician who is in training. This will give you 2 more years to complete training, giving you the opportunity to reach out to the North Dakota licensure as a certified pharmacy technician.
Will There Be Training Required?
Yes, the pharmacist in charge will be responsible for the training.
Are There Requirements for Continuing Education (CE)?
There is CE required after your first registration year. Every year you will need 10 hours of CE before you can renew. Also keep in mind that when you are nationally certified, you will need to comply with the CE requirements to stay nationally certified.
When Is Renewal Required?
Renewal is required by the 1st of March every year. There is a renewal fee of $35. You can find the renewal application at:https://secure.nodakpharmacy.com/renewal/loginrenewal_people.asp.
What If I Move Or Change Jobs?
If you relocate or change employers, it is your responsibility to notify the board and report these changes within 15 days.
Additional Information about Pharmacy Technician Requirements in North Dakota:
- 5. Pharmacy technicians are required to wear their name tags which identify themselves as technicians throughout each work shift.
- 6. The pharmacist in charge is responsible for all of the pharmacy technician’s actions.
- 7. A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- 8. The pharmacist in charge may supervise up to 3 or 4 pharmacy technicians at a time; this will depend on the work environment.