There are some important things for you to know, and steps for you to take, if you are pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician. If you want to be successful, it is important to understand the process and to take the rules and regulations into consideration.
Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In Ohio?
Yes they are regulated.
Is Certification Required In Ohio To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
No, certification is not required.
Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By Ohio?
The ICPT (ExCPT) and the PTCB (PTCE).
It is important to prepare yourself in order to be successful. There’s never enough knowledge for one to obtain. Below are a couple of websites that could be useful for you to help prepare for your career as a pharmacy technician.
PTCB Exam Preparation Books:
- 3. Pharmacy Technician Workbook And Certification Review by Joseph Medina
- 4. Reference Guide for Pharmacy Technician Exam by Manan Shroff
- 5. Delmar’s Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review by Patricia K. Anthony
What Are the Registration Dates?
Registration is not required.
Is A License Required?
No, a license is not required.
The Ohio State Board of Pharmacy Information:
Office: 77 S High St, Room 1702
Columbus, OH 43215-6126
Telephone: (614) 466-4143
Fax: (614) 752-4836
Are There Any Professional Associations?
The Ohio Pharmacists Association, which can be reached at http://associationdatabase.com.
What Are the Requirements To Become Licensed?
- 6. You must be 18 years of age or older.
- 7. You must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- 8. Complete 2 criminal background checks. Ohio requires two criminal background checks: one by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, and one by the FBI.
- 9. Complete a board approved exam given by your employer. You may work as a pharmacy technician for up to one year as long as you are studying and intend to take the exam.
Will There Be Training Required?
Yes, the pharmacist in charge will be responsible for the training.
Are There Requirements for Continuing Education (CE)?
No, there are not. But if you are nationally certified, maintaining your certification requires 20 units of continuing education every two years.
When Is Renewal Required?
Renewal is not required.
What If I Move Or Change Jobs?
If you change employers or relocate, it is your responsibility to contact the board to report those changes.
Additional Information about Pharmacy Technicians Requirements in Ohio:
- 10. A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- 11. The pharmacist in charge is responsible for all of the pharmacy technician’s actions.
Schools for Pharmacy Technicians in Ohio:
Columbus State Community College
Address: 315 Cleveland Avenue PO Box 1609
Columbus, OH 43215
School Of Pharmacy Technology
Address: 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195
Columbus, OH 43215
Address: 700 Carnegie Ave. Cleveland, Ohio 44115