There are some important things for you to know, and steps for you to take, if you are pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician. If you want to be successful, it is important to understand the process and to take the rules and regulations into consideration.
Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In Oklahoma?
Yes, they are regulated.
Is Certification Required In Oklahoma To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
No, certification is not required to practice as a pharmacy technician, but would most certainly make you a more likable candidate for employment.
Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By Oklahoma?
None, but employers may have certain requirements regarding national certification.
What Are the Registration Dates?
You must go through a pharmacy technician training program before you can register. After registration you will get more on the job training from your employer.
Is A License Required?
Yes, a license is required.
The Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy Information
Office: 4545 Lincoln Blvd., Suite 112
Oklahoma City, OK 73105-3488
Telephone: (405) 521-3815
Fax: (405) 521-3758
Are There Any Professional Associations?
The Oklahoma Pharmacists Association, which can be reached at www.opha.org.
What Are the Requirements To Become Licensed?
- 1. Be employed in a pharmacy.
- 2. Complete Phases 1 and 2 of the Pharmacy Technician Training Program at your place of employment.
- 3. With your $40 non refundable application fee, you submit your pharmacy technician registration application to the Oklahoma State Board of pharmacy and request registration.
- 4. You must also submit an affidavit affirming citizenship, lawful permanent residence, and/or immigration status information.
Will There Be Training Required?
The pharmacist in charge will be responsible for the training.
Are There Requirements for Continuing Education (CE)?
No, there are no requirements for continuing education.
When Is Renewal Required?
Renewal is required annually. The $40 renewal fee must be included with your application as well. The application for renewal can be found at: http://www.ok.gov/OSBP/documents/tech0708.pdf. The registration will expire on the last day of the pharmacy technician’s birth month.
What If I Relocate or I Change Jobs?
If you happen relocate or change employers, it is your responsibility to contact the board and report those changes.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in Oklahoma:
Address: 7202 S. I-35 Service Rd., Oklahoma City, OK 73149
Phone: (405) 631-3399
Tulsa Community College
Address: 909 South Boston Avenue Tulsa, OK 74119-2095
Oklahoma City Community College
Address: 7777 S. May Ave. Oklahoma City, OK 73159
Phone: (405) 682-1611
Oklahoma Board of Career and Technology Education (OBCTE)
1500 West Seventh Ave.
Stillwater, OK 74074
Phone (405) 377-2000, 1-800-522-5810
Fax (405) 743-6809
Additional Information about Pharmacy Technicians Requirements in Oklahoma:
- 5. Pharmacy technicians must wear name tags identifying themselves as pharmacy technicians at all times during their work shift.
- 6. The pharmacist who is in charge is responsible for all of the pharmacy technician’s actions.
- 7. A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgement.
- 8. The pharmacist who is in charge may supervise up to 2 pharmacy technicians at a time.