There are some important things for you to know, and steps for you to take, if you are pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician. If you want to be successful in your career, it is important to understand the process and to take the rules and regulations into consideration.
Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In Rhode Island?
Yes they are regulated.
Does Rhode Island Require Certification To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
No, certification is not required, but the state of Rhode Island issues two different licenses; there’s a license for those who are not nationally certified (tech 1), and there’s a license for those who are nationally certified (tech 2).
Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By Rhode Island?
The ICPT (ExCPT) and the PTCB (PTCE).
What Are the Registration Dates?
You need to register before you can start working. You must apply for and receive proof of registration prior to employment.
Is A License Required?
Yes a license is required.
The Rhode Island State Board of Pharmacy Information:
Address: 3 Capitol Hill, Room 205
Providence, RI 02908-5097
Are There Any Professional Associations?
The Rhode Island Pharmacists Association, which can be reached on their website atwww.ripharmacists.org.
What Are the Requirements To Become Licensed As A Pharmacy Technician in RI?
- 1. You must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- 2. You should have a high school diploma or equivalent, or you can also be enrolled in a program, in which you
- would be in the process of getting the degree.
- 3. If you are not certified, you must be enrolled in a board approved pharmacy technician training program, which
- may or may not be provided by your employer.
- 4. With your $40 non refundable application fee, you must submit your written pharmacy technician registration
- application (tech 1 or tech 2) to the Rhode Island State Board of Pharmacy and request registration. The application
- can be found at http://www.health.ri.gov/applications/PharmacyTechnician.pdf
- 5. Also you should be sure to have your application notarized.
- 6. You should have no felony convictions that involve drug abuse.
Is There Any Training That Is Required?
Yes, both tech 1 and tech 2 licensing require passing a Board-approved training program.
Are There Any Continuing Education (CE) Requirements?
No, there are not any CE requirements unless you are nationally certified. In which case, maintaining your certification requires 20 units of continuing education every 2 years.
How Often Is Renewal Required?
Renewal is required annually. Pharmacy Technician registrations expire June 30 of each year. The renewal fee is $40. Renewal forms will be sent out by the Board of Pharmacy.
What If I Relocate or I Change Jobs?
If you move or change jobs, it is your responsibility to contact the board of pharmacy and report the change in writing.
Additional Information about Pharmacy Technicians Requirements in Rhode Island:
- 7. Pharmacy technicians must be clearly identified to the public as pharmacy technicians by wearing name tags
- identifying themselves as pharmacy technicians and display their licenses at all times during their work shift.
- 8. A pharmacy technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- 9. The pharmacist who is in charge is responsible for all of the actions of each pharmacy technician under their