There are some important things for you to know, and steps for you to take, if you are pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician. It’s important to understand the process and rules before you get started.
Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In South Carolina?
Yes they are.
Does South Carolina Require Certification To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
Yes, although you may start working and register while you are still in the process of obtaining either your national or your state certification.
Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By South Carolina?
The PTCB (PTCE).
What Are the Registration Dates?
Before you can begin employment, you must apply for and receive proof of your registration.
Is A License Required?
Yes a license is required.
The South Carolina State Board of Pharmacy Information
South Carolina Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation – Board of Pharmacy
Address: Synergy Business Park, Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Drive, Suite 202
Columbia, SC 29210
Mail: PO Box 11927
Columbia, S.C. 29211-1927
Phone: (803) 896-4700
Fax: (803) 896-4596
Are There Any Professional Associations?
The South Carolina Pharmacy Association, which can be reached at www.scrx.org.
What Are the Requirements To Become Licensed and Certified By the State of South Carolina?
- 1. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- 2. You should have your high school diploma or the equivalent.
- 3. Complete 1,000 hours of work at a minimum as a pharmacy technician whom is given a limited amount of responsibilities.
- 4. Complete a pharmacy technician training course approved by the board.
- 5. With your $40 non refundable application fee, and a copy of your social security card, you must submit your written pharmacy technician registration application to the South Carolina State Board of Pharmacy and request your registration.
- 6. It is also important that you submit the Affidavit of Eligibility.
Is There Any Training That Is Required?
Yes, the license requires you to complete a training program that is approved by the State Board of Pharmacy.
Are There Any Continuing Education (CE) Requirements?
Yes there are requirements for continuing education. It is required in South Carolina that you complete 10 hours of CE by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education or CME board approved CE courses, per a 1 year renewal period. Four of those hours will require you to attend seminars, lectures, or workshops. Those who are nationally certified will be required to undertake 20 CE units every 2 years.
When Is Renewal Required?
Renewal is required annually. There is a $15 renewal fee and the expiration is on the 30th of June every year.
What If I Move or I change Jobs?
If you relocate or change employers, it is your responsibility to contact the State Board of Pharmacy to submit a written report of these changes.
Additional Information about Pharmacy Technician Requirements in South Carolina:
- 7. Pharmacy technicians will be required to have their licenses displayed at their place of employment, as well as keeping their registration on them at all times during their work shift.
- 8. The pharmacist who is in charge is responsible for all of the actions of each pharmacy technician under their supervision.
- 9. A pharmacy technician may only perform pharmacy tasks that do not require professional judgment.
- 10. The pharmacist in charge may supervise 2 technicians at one time, unless 2 of them are nationally certified. In which case, the pharmacist in charge can supervise 3 technicians during one shift.