There are some important things for you to know, and steps for you to take, if you are pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician. If you want to be successful, it is important to understand the process and to take the rules and regulations into consideration.
Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In Tennessee?
Yes they are regulated.
Is Certification Required In Tennessee To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
No certification is required.
Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By Tennessee?
None of the certification exams are required by the state of Tennessee.
What Are the Registration Dates?
You must register before you can practice as a pharmacy technician.
Is A License Required?
Yes a license is required; you must get your license before you can begin employment as a pharmacy technician.
The Tennessee State Board of Pharmacy Information
Tennessee Department of Health
Health Related Boards
Tennessee Board of Pharmacy
227 French Landing, Suite 300
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone: (615) 253-1299
Are There Any Professional Associations?
The Tennessee Pharmacists Association, which can be reached at www.tnpharm.org.
What Are the Requirements To Get Registered?
- 1. You must submit a statement claiming you have good moral character.
- 2. Submit an affidavit that states that you have read through and understand all of the laws and regulations that pertain to pharmacies in the state of Tennessee.
- 3. Be a U.S. citizen.
- 4. You may not have any felony convictions.
- 5. With your notarized $50 non refundable application fee included, you must request registration with the Tennessee State Board of Pharmacy by submitting an application. You can find the application at:http://health.state.tn.us/Downloads/Pharm_TechnicianApplication.pdf.
Is Training Required?
No, there is no required training.
Are There Any Continuing Education (CE) Requirements?
No, there are no CE requirements.
When Is Renewal Required?
Pharmacy technician registration renewal is required every 2 years. Renewals can be done online.
What If I Relocate Or I Change Jobs?
If you move or change employers, a change of address form must be submitted, you can obtain this form from the division’s website at: http://health.state.tn.us/Boards/pharmacy/PDFs/PH4040.pdf.
Additional Information about Pharmacy Technicians Requirements in Tennessee:
- 6. Pharmacy technicians must wear name tags that identify themselves as a technician at all times during each work shift.
- 7. Certified pharmacy technicians are able to receive new or transferred oral medical prescription orders.
- 8. The pharmacist in charge may supervise 2 technicians at one time, unless one technician is certified, in which case the pharmacist in charge may supervise 3 technicians.
- 9. Certified pharmacy technicians must display evidence of their certification at their place of employment, they must also keep proof of certification, as well as registration, at all times during their work shift.
Average Salary for Pharmacy Technicians in Tennessee:
Based on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics the estimated mean annual wage for Pharmacy Technicians in the state of Tennessee as of May 2008 is, $28,140. Although Tennessee pharmacy technicians do make a little bit less than the national average, the salaries have increased tremendously, by about $400 each year between 2006 and 2012. Throughout the nation, pharmacy technicians are averaging about $28,400 each year, with the top ten percent earning about an average of $41,880 and the bottom ten percent averaging $20,310 per year.